Apr 21, 2009

Spring is here!


                                             


It’s a beautiful day outside and I have a definite feeling the summer is on it’s way and we don’t need to face another gloomy and cold day before next fall.

Vappu (1st of may) is only a week away and the whole town seems to be in the mood for smiles and love.

Last year this time I was in Japan, paying my first visit to the country of gadgets and geishas. And what’s more to my interest, the elaborate updos and wigs geishas nowadays wear. I was fortunate enough to be in Kyoto on the 30th of April when the last performances of Miyako Odori were in play and we scored leftover tickets to the show just 20minutes before the last performance.

There are plenty of theatres in Kyoto that hold similar shows but they’re all called different names based on where the theatre is located and which district the performing maikos come from.

 

The show was spectacular, just the way I always thought it would be (think the movie memoirs of a geisha) and the tatami seats on the balcony of the theatre offered a good view of the whole stage.

 

After the show on the same day there were plenty of dressed up maikos and geikos on the streets and I got a couple of great pictures of them. My local guide said I was really lucky to see so many of them, lots of tourist end up disappointed to realize there are only regular looking people around. In my opinion the time at the turn of april and may, though the cherryblossoms are already gone, is a great opportunity to spot the town in it’s splendor of spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment